Thursday, April 5, 2012

Foxy Brown…




Foxy Brown was born in 1983...but conceived in the 70s. She slept through the 80's, closeted in the 90's and loitered in the streets for the last decade.  Her interior is from America’s brass age with shag carpeting, gold rack-n-ladder and complete with rec room wood paneling. Her plaid captain chairs swivel under two skylights and tinted octagon windows with levolor blinds framed in more gold shag.  The bench seat in the back folds out to a double bed with memory foam addition to make it, well...memorable. The huge sliding door opens to a carpeted cargo area with an option to screw in a table. Her sporty exterior is white with lavish wide brown and gold stripes that sweep around and meet at the back windows. She’s a brother's ride, and so was christened “Foxy Brown”.  A classic American Van.




I was never a Van Fan, can't say I ever looked at one. But this one, rolled down Potreo hill into my life. I traded a painting for her. I needed a van for an upcoming show in New Mexico and had started to look at my 4 door Honda sedan with disdain. She couldn’t haul anything, the dog's back hit the roof and I looked like an undercover FBI agent driving it.  When I learned the van had only 42K miles, electric windows, cruise control and power locks, this was solid gold and it was glittering. Built like a rock but not ridden hard, there is plenty of life left on those wheels.  She required new lungs,  and so I filled the new speakers with Doobie Bros, Bee Gees and a bit of Olivia to just to wake Foxy Brown from her long sleep.
With the deal sealed, I hit the road singing "Stayin Alive" in my 70's So-Cal surfer,  urban cruisin' bro ride. A southwest poor man's RV and southern rebel good-ole-boy van.  
Somehow I fit right into the American landscape.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent penmanship!
    Foxy Brown sounds like a dream...
    I feel like I'm riding down the highway with you...sunglasses, windows rolled down,hair blowing in the breeze,it's a beautiful day ...O, wait I was in the passenger seat ...I think the dog just booted me to the back...
    Happy trails!
    Dina

    ReplyDelete